Group therapy helps people work through problems by interacting with a therapist and a group of individuals with similar struggles. In a safe, confidential setting, each group member can share personal experiences, feelings and issues and receive feedback and support from the rest of the group.
A variety of therapeutic approaches, such as cognitive-behavioral, psychoanalytic and humanistic are used in group. Research clearly demonstrates the effectiveness of group therapy to treat a variety of conditions.
Some of the benefits of group therapy include:
- A safe, supportive setting to discuss difficult emotions and experiences
- Less isolation and loneliness when surrounded by others with similar struggles
- Interactions with others quickly brings issues to the surface, allowing them to be resolved under the guidance of a therapist
- Improves self-awareness and motivation to change
- Feedback from peers can be highly influential
- Improves interpersonal and communication skills
- Builds trust and self-esteem
- Ideal setting to practice new skills and behaviors
- An affordable way to receive therapy as sessions are much less than individual sessions
Growth Therapy Center currently has the following groups:
Codependency Counseling Group
Wednesday, October 16, 2019
6:30pm to 8:00pm
Lasts for 6 weeks
$20 per person, per week
Snacks and Beverages Provided
Cap Center Building
4510 Cox Road, Suite 102-B
Glen Allen, VA 23060
We will do some reading from the book “Codependent No More” by Melodie Beattie as well as “Women Who Love Too Much” by Robin Norwood. You can purchase these books from Amazon or Barnes and Noble. This group is led by a licensed professional therapist and will cover the topic of codependency, it’s root cause, behaviors and symptoms, and ways in which to recover from it.